Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Not a bad start for my time in Ljubljana

Orientation day 1

So our orientation week started on Wednesday! Dasha already told me that the first professor who was speacking was going to be awesome and she so was! Eldery woman with birght curly red hair. She just made me laugh and she really made as feel welcome. I also my mate my tutor Mateja. All of the tutors seem great! Everyone are helpful and ou can really see that they have a great group spirit and they are having fun doing what the are doing. At the end of the day we had 'Learn Slovenian in 90 minutes' and this language is IMPOSSIBLE! It's easy to read but it sounds nothing familiar. I would like to learn in enough to read a menu tho cause not every place have the english one. But pivo is beer! And there is only two real beers in Slovenia and Lasko is the better one. So no worries! But seriously I didn't learn anything! And I haven't decided et if I'm going to go on Slovenian language course. Don't know yet...

Couple more pictures from home: sight from my bedroom window and our kitchen

The high light of the day was the international dinner! I have been in international dinners before in Finland but there was nothing quite this one! The dinner was heald in the inner yeard of the Faculty(and I got there late as usually). Every two countries shared a table and there was a DJ and disco lights! What?!? It was a mean as party! Most of they countries had also brought their national alcohol beverages so basically people went from table to table a drink a shot and got waisted and we kind of forgot the food! I was so in to looking after our table so at first I didn't have time to walk around.

Finnish menu


Rye bread with raindeer 
Finnish macaroni casserole

Angry bird lollies
Äsää mix candy
Fazer chocolate

Lapin Kulta beer
Long drink
Carnberry Finlandia vodka
Koskenkorva Salmiakki vodka
Blueberry shots


Finland!

 Everybody loved raindeer and blueberry shots! And obviously disliked Salmiakki vodka!
The night was great! Meeting great new people and having a party. Koreans went crazy when the Gangnam style come on! Got to love koreans!
I also tasted the most horrible thing EVER! I still hate Mateja about this! I made my tutor to drink a blueberry shot and a shot of Finlandia and obviously she revanged to me and made drink HALF CUP of some discsting slovenian honey vodka.
Mateja: "This is the traditional Slovenian shot!"
Ella: "You are kidding me, its too much!"
Mateja: "ou have to drink it all at once!"
Ella: "Mateja!! Thats just bulls**t!
Mateja: "Drink it!"
Ella: " F********ck!"
I almost puked! And the worst part was that our international coordinator Alma and our school international relations dean Helena(I think her name was Helena) where right next to me and cracked up! They were laughing so hard! My eyes were all teary and Mateja couldn't stop laughing. I still love you tho girl.
So yea, it was quite a party and it ended 10pm. It felt like midnight tho! We didn't continue our night anywhere tho cause we had school on the next day. And there is not much going on Tuesday nights.

The best international dinner ever!
Awesome portugies

Orientation day 2

I don't know what is wrong with me but I leave everything for the last minute! I knew my school started at 11am and I was still enjoying my morning tea at 10.30am with no hurry at all! Brshed my hair, put some mascara and when I look at the time ---10.58am!!! "I'm gonna be late!" I screamed and run out of the door and Dasha was laughing in her bed. That lucky bastered... Lucky my school is only 5min walk away. But I was actually on time. The latin people were still poaring in when I got to the auditorium.
If yesterdays first speaker was great, this was as good or maybe a little better! Pr. dr. Zarja Fabjancic just made us laugh! He gave us a lecture of 'Milestones of Slovenian history'. Doesn't sound so exciting but he was telling all interesting facts about Slovenian history and the end of the lecture he got so side a tracked that he started only talking about Slovenian bears and tought us if we wanted to go to hike in Slovenian forest just remember this: "You might meet a bear, so never go alone. Always go with someone, who runs slower than you!"
We had also lecture about sport activities that are offered for ecomics students and there is so many!! From tennis to badminton, foodball, swimming, aerobics and GOLF AND HOURSE RIDING! So cooool! And the prices are, again, ridiculously cheap! 20-30€(the whole semester) everything else but golf and hourse riding which are 100€ one semester. I'm so gonna do it! I haven't done hourse riding since I was a little girl.

This is the day when karma started hitting me bad! Later the evening there was a organized bike tour around Ljubljana at 5pm. At 4.30pm I was still happy at home reading a book or what ever. At 20min to I was starting to head to center and I had to get my bike from garage. So, I ran downstear and try to open the door with my key. It didn't open. I knew I had the right key cause Dasha just gave it to me. I twisted right, twisted left, pushed, pulled, EVERYTHING! I got fustrated, I was already late, called Dasha for help, which she didn't like cause she was all comfortable in her pyjamas in her bed and now she had to come down 6 stears and go back up. And the door opened for her for the first time. So unfair! Anyways, I toke my bike and start driving to center as a maniac. On my way I realized my brakes don't work well and almost got hit by a car and a person. Then I realized my front wheel was empty. For f**k sake is everything going to go wrong. YES, cause then I realized that I didn't actually know where the meeting point actually was! I had no idea! Well yea I did have couple ideas, ether it was gonna start from the main squer where there is a pink church or the other squer where the Univesity of Ljubljana was. The time was about 5pm already. Drove to the first squer first, lots of people but I didn't see any Erasmus people or people with bikes. Drove to the other squer, definately not the meeting point. So I got there late so no tour for Ella! My first thought was: f**k that, I'll just buy a bottel of wine and go home. But then I thought, I got through too many trouble to get here so I'm just gonna make most of it on my own! So thats what I did, picked a random destination and started biking(without the map ofcourse) and I had so much fun my own. Found some really cool random places and went to almost all the same places where you would have gona with the tour. Only down side was that I didn't hear all the interesting history about those places.


Yea it looks pretty much as Turku! No difference at all ;)


Can't wait to Tuomas to get here cause I have ALWAYS wanted to have a love luck. So romantic! And the best thing is that I get to do it in my new home town! Yey, happy happy joy joy.

The famous dragon of Ljubljana

On my way home I did actually stop on Marceto to buy bottle of wine and it was less that 3€. 1 LITRE bottle of Slovenian white wine. Can this country get any better?
We had the first official Erasmus party tonight at club called Companeros. I was planning to go to some preparty heald at the dorm but we ended up just drinking wine with Dasha and Sasha at our balcony and her friend Brian joined us later. These people are just awesome! We ended up going to the club around 1am and we had a blast! The club was packed, music was a little too loud and there was too many people and I drank too many shots. And there would not any problem BUT we had a trip next morning at 8.30. Obviously I didn't care cause I was mood for dancing and partied until who knows how long! And I don't actually remember when I got home. But the next morning Tuomas told me that I called him and fell a sleep on tho phone. Good one!

My sweet roommates! Sasha and Dasha

Friday

Guess who didn't make it to the trip on the morning? I didn't!! It was so baaaad tho and I was really sad about it cause I really wanted to go. I didn't wake up for m alarm at 7.45 but I woke up an hours later which was already too late. There was all these cool thing they did tho! They went to the coust of Slovenia Piran and to the caves and this castle and everything! Who misses a trip like that. And the worst part was that it was my birthday aswell!! Karmaaaa why do you hate me. So I had the hangover birthday. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, I felt sick and thursty, full and hungry all the same time. Dasha went to Mercato to buy some chips for me, angel. Sasha came later to my room:
"So Ella, the thing is, ou are not allowed to come to the kitchen at least in 30min so if you need to get something do it now!"
I love those girls!
Later, when the life started to come back to m body we celebrated my birthday together with Sasha and Dasha and her friends Nika, Ursa and Brian. Sasha and Dasha had made me a cake 23 candels and bought me pink roses, awwwws so cute! I also got my first letter from Tuomas whicha was homemade card with all lovely stuff in it. I love you honey!

Nutella cream berry cake, yaaaaam!

More wine and great company. We went out to the coolest place ever called Metelkova. Its hard to explane but it is located on forlmer military barrecks and sity consists of I think seven building or something. There is a art gallery, bars and clubs, live music like jazz, rock, heavy metal, dub and techno. And right next to Metelkova there is a hostel which is a old prison. Maybe that is the place where the horror movie hostel got the inspiration from!
But yea it was awesome! We were supposed to go to a different club but we end up going to Tiffanies which is a gay club and the night was almost better than the previous night! We got home around 5.30 or something and had to get burek on our way home. It was a bad idea to get home so late tho cause I had a nother trip on Saturday also starting on 8.30. I wasn't gonna miss that one and I didn't! Yey, good on me!

So that was that, my first week in Slovenia! I'll try to keep up with my phase and write about my weekend adventures soon as possible. My bad karma didn't leave me alone in Saturday tho! But thats for the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment