Monday, October 21, 2013

Trieste-Venice-Verona

A week ago we decided to make a trip to Italy with other erasmus people. First there was just 3 of us and we ended up having 15 excited travellers share a same thought. I can tell, planning a trip with 10 people wasn't fun at first. Other wanted to go on Friday, other Saturday and some wanted to go rafting on Sunday. In the end we had three groups.

  1. Team Friday(the best group ofcourse!) left on Friday and came back on Sunday
  2. Team Saturday who stayed one night in Venice and joined us to Verona the next day
  3. Team day trip to Venice who we met in Venice on Saturday
We rent a car with ATET and I was not driving! I just got my driving licence back and I didn't drive that much last summer so I was terrified with the thought of driving in Italy. Ludi and Patrick(see I know how to write your name!) volunteered to drive. And I was still terrified only sitting in the car! No Phillip I'm not a pussy! The cars were just driving really fast.

Day 1 - Trieste

Our first stop was Trieste, a small city near Slovenian boarded on the coast. It use to be part of old Jugoslavia and most of Slovenian people are gutted its not part of their country. It was a small and beautiful city. We didn't spend too much time there, just walked around and tried to have dinner. We ran to some Italian cultural differences.
First of all the roads were pretty small if you ask me! Not the high way but the other streets. Again scary! Second the parking garage! We found a hotel parking garage right in the center. Since it was owned by a nice hotel we were sure that it was trustwise. Until what happened next: a slightly over weight Italian man greeted us after we had parked the car and gave us our a parking ticket and asked to have our car keys. Everybody freacked about it more or less and Patrick was so sure that Italian Mafia was behind this. We went to the hotel reception to ask about it and they insured us that there was nothing to worrie. The garage closed at 8pm and after that you could get your key from the reception. But it was still weird system! And thirdly whats with that late dinner!? We were so hungry at...don't remember what time but lets say 6pm or so and the kitchen opened at 8pm?? After what seems a long search we finally we found a place which seemed nice enought to have dinner. They didn't offer dinner but they still had their lunch buffee open so at least we got something to eat.



Our jorney continued after that and it got really interesting when we were getting close to our hotel. First we were in a warehouse like area but passed it. Soon after there stared seeing hookers by the road! What is this area?! But no worries it was really good. The hotel looked nice out and inside and seemed to be in nice enought neighbourhood. And hotel was called a Nice Hotel! Sweeet! We were mentally prepared to have a room with couple bunk beds but we got was a small penthouse! Clean, big two bedrooms apartment minus kitchen obviously.


Day 2 - Venice

Our day stared with lovely breakfast in popular cafeteria next our hotel and with my bad karma. After a long deliberation I ended up having a pizza sandwish filled with cheese and ham and hot chocolate(I don't drink coffee). Everybody esle got their food right away but me. Waitres told me to sit down, it was a busy cafeteria. After a while I went ask for my for my order and they told me 1 more minute. Oookey. By the time everyone else were finished eating and I got my food but not my drink because they had ran out of hot chocolate! You didn't want to let me know about it 10 minutes ago?  I got a capuccino just have something hot to drink, but even after two packs of sugar, I still didn't like it. No biggie tho, we were going to see Venice that day!

29€/person/night in 5 ppl bedroom and 15min bus drive(1,8€) away from Venice

Saturday market next to our hotel
Venice was absolutely beautiful! Ofcourse I have seen photos of that place but I still had no idea what to expect. The small narrow allies, canals and everything was just beautiful. Even tho there was a lot of tourist it felt really peacefull. Especially when you just got lost with those small streets. No cars and no bikes, perfect. By accident we happened to bumb in to 'Team day trip to Venice'-group in ome of the small squers. Damn luck! We met up rest of the group near Piazza San Marco. I love Italy, everything is just so beautiful! Old beautiful buildings and and. But the pigeons freacked me out!! They almost attaced us humans! And there was so many of them, crazy.



Since the gondoly drive was way too expencive(29€/person/30min or something like that) we decided to do a more budget friendly trip and catch the riverboat-bus for 7€.

 







Before our trip I asked my Italian friends if they anyone from Venice and luckily Stan knew Ludovico who studies in Venice. We met up with him and his friend on trainstation. He had planned to take us for a drink for a place what students prefared but they had closed already at 2pm. We found a nice second choice for our drink. The boys didn't join us for dinner but it was nice to catch up with some locals. 
Grazie!


Day 3 - Verona

The home town of romantic tale of Romeo and Julia. I had no idea what expect from that city and it turned out to be very beautiful! And so many tourist! That was really suprising. It almost felt like there was more tourist than in Venice. We saw the must see places and the most famous one was ofcourse the balcony of Julia(which may or may not be the balcony) and love wall, and locks. They were really sweet honestly. There was also a stague of Julia and you had to hold her left breast(or was it the right one) because...I do not remember. Something for good luck I guess.




After all that sightseeing everyone were up for lunch which is never easy task to find a good place to find. Patricked had googled the night before top-10 budget restaurants, yey! But try to find a specific restaurant from small and narrow streets of Italy, so hard! We were hunting the restaurant for an hour and when we finally found one, it was closed! Everyone were tired and hungry and we ended up splitting for two groups and by a huge accident and luck my, Patrick, Tina and Franzie found the number #1 budget restaurant! It was amazing. Osteria Solloriva, you stole my heart. The restaurant was full of Italians the hand writen menu was written only in italian and the waitress was super friendly and spoke good english. THE best food I had eaten in that weekend. Especially the small bite I had from Tinas food. Those homemade ravioles makes my mouth wather only by the thought of it.



The rest restaurant

Thank you for Team Friday, you were awesome to travel with you all! Until the next adventures, ciao!

Tina, Patrick, Ludi and Sophie

Team backseat!

4 comments:

  1. Ihanii kuvia! :) Kattelin tänään lentoi Sloveniaan, mut oli aikas kalliita tai sit kesti 26 tuntii päästä sinne. Lennot Helsinki-Verona olis paljon edullisempii ja jopa suorii saa hyväl hinnal. Mietinki, et pääsisköhän sieltä junal tai bussil Llubljanaan? :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anteeks muru en oo huomannu sun kommenttii! No me oltii autol liikentees mut oon ihan varma et menee junii tai bussei. I'll give it a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No pasa nada! Koitan kans selvitellä sitä. Olis niin kiva tulla käymään siel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kävittekö näköalapaikalla mistä näkee koko Veronan? Kirjotettiin sinne kesällä nimmarit ;)

    ReplyDelete