Tuesday, September 24, 2013

First sight of Slovenia: mountains and sunset

So this it is, here I am and there is no going back now. Now my feelings are happy and excited but it sure did not feel that way when I had my arms around Tuomas for the last time on the airport. It was really really hard to say 'see you later'.

My flight departed at 17.00 and I got a lift with Mum and Tuomas joined us. It was sch a bizzar feeling since it felt like we were going on a trip together with Tuomas since he had his stuff with him cause he was going to catch the bus to Pori from Helsinki.

Things didn't go like in the movies. I did my check in and went to drop off my bags and I had 3kg too much stuff with me! My thoughts 'are you kidding' didn't help so I had to open my bag and try to take 3kg worth of stuff out. It was a pain! After I had the saddest fairwell so far: saying good bye to my love. I didn't want to let go and looked one ugly bitch when I went to security check with eyes as red as firetruck. The tears didn't end I got some weird looks from people.
The flight went by really quickly and before I noticed we were already in Slovenia. And yea the first sight of Slovenia was absolutely beautiful: surrounded by breathtaking mountains and sun setting behind them. I felt really really lucky. 


This is what I wrote on my jornal just after:
I'm here...
What a bizzar feeling. First sight of Slovenia: mountains and sunset. I wish I had sbaped a photo of it. I can tell it was beautiful! I guess I will have photos like that in the future tho. And it's so warm in here 21c.

Just before we landed I realized couple things:

  1. I had no idea how ti get to center. My roommate was originally going to pick me up from the aiport but she couldn't cause she had to go to work. All right I'll catch the bus.
  2. Where is the bus stop?? In Ljubljanas "huge" airport there was no info desk where to ask. So I was standing there fron of the airport wondering where to go. I could take a taxi but that was going to be "expencive" since it was 20min drive to the center. Lucky there was a shuttel bus sign and that costed 9e and the bus driver dropped me off right on front of my house. Lucky!
  3. How to get in to the apartment? So my slovenian roommate Dasha was working and I didn't have a key to the appartment. I also didn't have her or anybodys else phone numbers. Great! My other roommate was supposed to be at home but what if she wasn't??? I walked to the door knowing the my appartment number was 13.
  4. There are no apartment numbers at the door bells. Great! Only last names and they all look the same. What was Dashas last name? I don't remember. I check it from facebook with my smart phone, - wait - I don't have one! Lucky I have sight memory and I remember it sarted with T and it was short. So I ringed the possible door bell. My roommate answered. I was saved! But wait, what?
  5. THERE IS NO ELEVATOR! I had 23kg suitcase, 10kg packbag, a handback AND plastic bag. Super! My roommate was super and she ran downstares to help me.
So I got here. My room is so cute and we have a cat!




I didn't have too much time to settel in since I had a event to attend to 'The "wake me up in Ljubljana" drink with FELU Tutors'. Dasha got home and she was going out aswell so she was kind enoght give a lift and walk me to the meeting point. We met at Preseren Square and walk with the group to "Tower bar"(I have no idea what it was called and there were HEAPS of us! Over 100 exchange students only from our faculty. I felt lost! I came alone so I went straight to the bar and asked for a beer(3e). 
Next thing you could do is just go to talk with random people! "Hi am Ella I'm from Finland, whats your name"-sentence was repeated several times that night. Everyone were really open and great. The only persons name I remember was Anna from Austria. I think we were supposed to have some activities together aswell but the tutors had some tecnikal dificulties so we just ended up hanging out and talk one of other. 
It was a great night tho! Small glass of wine 2,80e, so gooood. But yea it was really random I met local police officer and his college from US. Hanged out with bunch of people Portugal. Met the other finnish girl Erika and a swedish guy. People all around the world. The bartenders were crazy, couple of them were more waisted than the students. The gave free vodka shots and pore liquer peoples mouth. Unfortunately I wasn't in a party mood, since it had been a long day and I had a flu. And I was starving! I had eaten just a small sandwish for lunch and a small bite on the plane. MacDonalds I'm coming! And let me tell you that Bic Mac was shit! Not even the fries were good. At least I got some food so I was happy enough. And it was only 4.99e so it was alright. Got home with taxi(4,90e) and went straight to bed. 


The weather is going to be good so I'm just gonna just go wondering outside with camera and get something for eat. I wish I had a map!! Hopefully I will find my way to center. Ou shit I'm gonna get lost!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds soooo good and your room is so cute and our group picture there and everything. I can't believe you're there, at your new home! :)

    ReplyDelete